The Iloca Stereograms IIa was manufactured by
Wilhelm Witt Iloca Werk Company of Hamburg, German, around 1953 or 1954.
This camera was also sold by Sears Robuck under the product name of
'Tower Stereo'. The version shown below is a slightly later variety. The
earlier type the Stereograms II had it's rewind knobs protruding above
the top-plate of the camera.
The camera used
35mm film and produced a picture size of 24mm x 23mm . It was fully
manual in operation and had an aperture range from f/3.5 to f/16. It's
shutter went from 1second to 1/300 second, plus a B setting. It had a 12
second self timer.
It was surprisingly heavy at 770grams and had a
lens separation of approximately 70mm. It had a filter thread size of 30mm
The camera shutter cannot be cocked
unless there is a film in the camera. The user winds the film on until it
doesn't move any more then pulls the red lever (on the right-hand) side to
cock the shutter.
Exposure control is achieved with
these dials and levers.
Unusually, the Newton viewfinder is
situated on the bottom of the camera, you can see the square window in the
picture below. This makes it feel slightly strange when taking a
photograph, because the camera is held very high when compared to
In the UK, these cameras were
distributed by Wallace Heaton Ltd. a very well known photographic business
in the first half of the 20th century and still believed to be trading
today at 64 New Bond Street, London.
An couple of examples of stereo
slides taken with the camera above. Use the cross-eyed method of viewing